Saturday, September 29, 2012

Space Center - St. Augustine - Savannah

28th of September I left Orlando behind me and on that note BIG thanks for Jenna, Brad, Kristen, Kelly, Matt, Frankie & Tyler for making my visit in Orlando such a great experience!

I started driving first towards east from Orlando for I wanted to go and visit the Kennedy Space Center since I've never had a chance to go there. It was a bit over an hour easy drive.

The Space Center itself - I didn't really know what to expect but for the $50 admission fee I think it was well worth while! At first when you arrive to the Visitor Complex you can see the "Rocket Garden" which is a collection of some of the rockets that we're sent to space from there. The rest of the complex included plenty of information about all the missions along with lots of sights to see and of course the IMAX theatre which showed the Hubble 3D and Space Center 3D films. I went to see the Hubble one and it was awesome. Just the size of the screen and the 3D effect really put things nicely in proportion. You come out of that theatre feeling really small after all of those Billions and Billions of Billion things and lightyears.. And in addition of the head rush of information it was a really beautiful thing to see.


From the Visitor Complex you can take a ride to the launch pads and the actual NASA space center.. though of course you see them only from the but but still. On the tour we were able to see some of the original equipment and the launch sites and the tour itself ended to see and experience the rocket launch  control room and to see some of them in real size - and also.. I touched the moon! (or at least the peace of rock that they claim that was brought from the moon.. :)

After the tour I experienced the rocket launch simulator and met with an astronaut Robert Springer who flew on missions STS - 29 & STS - 38. And of course I had to make him catch the Angry Bird!

After the Space Center I started to drive up north the I -95. I wanted to reach Savannah, Georgia which was about 300 miles (apx. 500km away). On the way I dropped by in St. Augustine - which is the oldest european built city in the continental US.

And finally at 10:15 pm I reached Savannah, Georgia and stayed my first overnight in a roadside Motel right outside the town.

Now it's 11:55am - I'm having my breakfast in "Dunkin Donuts" and I'll try to get somewhere between North Carolina and Virginia today after 7- 10 hours of driving.

No comments:

Post a Comment