Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Day & Night on the Road

After a well slept night in a Motel right outside Savannah, Georgia I packed my car in the morning and continued the drive. I wanted to drive through South Carolina and reach near the border of North Carolina and Virginia so that the following day it would be a quick drive up to Washington DC. 

Before I left I wanted to check nonetheless if there would be something worthwhile to check while driving through the Carolinas and I found out that  part of "Forrest Gump" was filmed in Savannah, which was right next to me! And the part that was filmed was the famous park scene's where Forrest is waiting for the bus. So of course I had to find myself a box of chocolates and the bench and take a picture of it! 

It was only about 30 minutes drive away from where I was staying overnight and very easy to find. Savannah itself was a very nice town as well.. it reminded me of.. well.. Forrest Gump. Anyway, I managed to find the place where the bench was for the movie. It was in Chippewa Square in the center of the city. Now the bench itself was taken off cause the story says that people kept on trying to steal it. but nonetheless the spot itself is right like from the movie! And I must say that the picture you see below became instantly one of my favorite pictures!



After Savannah I started driving up north on the I-95 and didn't stop until nightfall. I arrived to a small town of Rocky Mount, North Carolina. I tried to look for a Motel at first but then I thought that since I've been looking into finding out whether the car itself would be "sleepable" I thought that I'd try out the sleeping bag I bought earlier. And as it turned out: IT IS! After turning the back seats down I can sleep with my full length in the back! (just need to buy a proper pillow and a mattress).

The following day it was just a short 4 hour drive up to fairfax to meet with an old friend from the South Pacific...

No comments:

Post a Comment