Monday, October 15, 2012

Driving west - Day 3, Arriving to Chicago





Detroit was a bit of a drive away from where I was so I decided to move on to my final Driving west destination: Chicago.

During this drive I didn't do any major stops. The one thing that was though extremely memorable was the colors of the autumn. I've seen some great Autumn colors back home in Finland but these were absolutely great. Just trees and trees one after another in more spectacular colors. And it was so nice that on one of my "pitstops" I wondered a bit in the nearby forests, just to see the colors more close. And then.. there it was.. the BIGGEST forest frog I've ever seen! (on that note they don't get that big in finland so it was probably an average size frog) but STILL!! it was HUGE!

I actually almost stepped on it, but luckily it moved a bit so I would recognize it from the leaves in the ground. I said hi to it and continued. :)

The drive itself was about 5 hours between Toledo and Chicago and I arrived there around 4:30pm, Which "nobody told me" was an hour too early! I was about to go for a dinner with another friend from the ships, Erin. And we agreed that we'd meet up at 5 pm and see from there. So as it was I was 1,5 hour early! Which really was no problem since there were few things I needed to get sorted in internet anyway. So this gave me a good reason to catch up with all of that.


After awhile Erin found her way to the place I was waiting and then it was all about catching up for another 2 hours! Erin really recommended this nice place right by the Clarks road by the Wrigler Stadium called Cuddy Bear so I thought that it might be worthwhile checking it out. I found myself a nice Inn near by.. well.. about 30 min transportation away. I got my little public transportation adventure trying to find the right station at night time. After going in circles for about 30 minutes in a neighborhood I probably should not go after dark, I found the station. In the train I met this Australian girl who was very helpful in letting me know what station to get off to get to my destination. With her assistance I was able to get off right by the bar I was headed and I was there just in time to hear first out of the three bands that were playing there that night. Good choice altogether. It was a little bit UnderGroud kinda feeling in the place so I fitted right in! The bands styles variated between Alice in Chance – incubus – Coldplay and the White Stripes. It turned out to be a great night of ROCK! Unfortunately as it was Wednesday everything closed early and by 2 pm I was already on my way back to the Motel.

No comments:

Post a Comment