Sunday, October 21, 2012

Route 66 -Day 4: Groom, TX – Santa Fe, NM





My first thing on the 4th morning of driving the route 66 was the mission to find the leaning water tower of groom. (I’ve never made it yet to the Leaning Tower of Pisa so I’ll try to compensate with this one) And funny enough I actually drove right by it during the previous night! It was about 2 miles back on the road I came down to Groom. I noticed that by the water tower there was a truck still that was there on the previous night as well. I spoke with the Driver for few moments and now he really wants to go for a cruise from New Orleans! :)  He’s truck had revoked it’s “contract” with him. (meaning it was broken) and he had to wait for 17 hours for a replacement truck to come and pick the load he was transporting. Anyways.. He was kind enough to help me out with the “Angry Birds” shot in front of the tower, which btw is coming really nicely together! I believe I have apx 40 clips at the moment of that bird flying around. I’m hoping that by the end I’ll have about 60 of ’em!



-      Well, after Groom I started heading more westly for I wanted to find the other famous roadside attraction that was in the “neighborhood” The Cadillac Ranch. I got a bit confusing information from the location and noticed that I had driven by it already. So I turned around and drove a good 30 km back to the small town of Panhandle, TX where it was supposed to be located according to my guide information. BUT once I arrived – no body had even heard about it! Until I found this younger guy who told me that it’s not even close, it’s after Amarillo… so I turned the car around again and headed toward Amarillo. In Amarillo I wanted to do a stop as well since there was another attraction: The BIG Texan restaurant. Known for the 72oz steak (don’t even know how much it is in Grams probably about 1000) which if you finish you get FREE. Well knowing my appetite I would’ve finished probably 1/7th of it, so I gave up before even starting

-       After Amarillo I managed to find the Cadillac Ranch. And it was exactly that: 10 cadillacs dug halfway down in the middle of a field. But it looked pretty cool though! Here’s an idea for some local art project in the fields of finland!

    After seeing the cadillacs I started following the Route 66 where ever I could and arrived to New Mexico (where btw they just did the “space jump”) and in NM I found the “midpoint Café” where I had driven exactly the 1193mi (2000km-ish) and I had 1193 mi left of route 66. For me though a bit more since I was planning to drive to Colorado to see my friend Mitch from few years back on Oasis of the Seas take out.

On my way towards Albuquerque, NM I noticed that it would be quicker for me to take the scenic route and drive to Santa Fe instead. So I did. And on the way there I noticed the road to change drastically and becoming more desert like with the long straight roads!! And I saw my first (out of many) Red Rocks and landscapes and it was something. I felt like I drove straight into a western movie with the tumble weeds and all! All that was missing was a stand off and gunfights! Luckily didn’t see any of those!

I arrived to Santa Fe after dark and found a nice cosy place to sleep in my car and waiting for the upcoming mountain drive to the start of the Rocky mountains


1 comment:

  1. I love these cadillacs. I've stopped there on my cross country road trip, too!

    ReplyDelete