Monday, October 15, 2012

Chicago – Day 2



The "Bean" in Chicago
I wanted to dedicate my 2nd day in Chicago fully in sighseeing. I drove to downtown and circled around the city for awhile just driving around. First Thing I did was looking around the Wrigler Stadium, which is the 2nd oldest Baseball Stadium in the States. I've never seen a game live, but it was great to see this place of American Sporting History.

I got recommended to take a look at the “Navy Pier” which was a little themed tourist trap right by the city. In this case a very nice “tourist trap”. Lots of restaurants – great view of the city – and a FERRIS WHEEL! Which is something I never been to. So I figured that it would be in order to remedy this fact! From the top of the ferris wheel I got a great bird eye view of both the city itself and the Lake Michigan.

After the Navy Pier I wanted to find couple of things: first the Millenium park, which was full of sights and then the starting point of Route 66 and after if I had time maybe check the “Sears” building (the highest skyscraper in Chicago). The Millenium Park was actually right by the Navy Pier, I could’ve walked there – but decided to pay again over $20 for parking! It was very much worth it though for Millenium Park had so many cool sights to see and the city was right by it. First I saw the “Cloud stage”, an architectural wonder in the park. After I saw the “Bean”. A friend of mine tried to explain it to me and said that I had to go and take a look at it! He said that it’s like this huge bean with reflection of the city etc. I didn’t really get it when he explained it to me, but when I got there I realized that it indeed was a HUGE bean with a reflection of the city and the sky on it. And as you got closer you could reflect yourself from it, which was good fun. Next up I went to see the Fountain next to it. Now this was not any kind of fountain: It had two major structures facing each others with faces projected on them. And then the faces would actually “spit” toward each other. A funky and funny idea.. I actually really liked this little monument!

At this point I started to have cautiously low battery on my iPhone (to which I rely with my navigation to wherever I go) and decided to find the beginning point of Route 66. I had gotten some mixed information where the actual spot is so I wondered awhile without finding it. And just then – the battery died from my iPhone – and there was no more navigation for me! I tried to ask the people around if anybody would’ve known but nobody had a clue. So I gave up and decided to walk around the downtown a bit more. After an hour of aimless walking I got a tip of one more spot I should really check out: the Wicker Park, which apparently was this hipster venue with lots of live music and good atmosphere. I decided to check it out and after that find a hostel for me.

The wicker park area was a relatively easy drive away and it was all what was promised- I did end up hoping that I would not have been there with a car.. :( But after I had my dinner I grew so tired that I decided to give it up for the night and find a place to stay for the night and get ready for the Route 66.

No comments:

Post a Comment